Sunday, August 27, 2006

Varanasi- A Collection of Random Thoughts

This is my 50th post. I wanted to write about Varanasi because this is where my blog was born, this is where I discovered myself.

My grandfather tells me of the age when three rupees was all it took to buy a month’s food. When I go home during vacations, I tell him people here need just a few more. Varanasi, in many ways, reminds me of my grandmother’s tales of villages and rivers, of subsistence and happiness, and of a life of undiluted peace and calm.

When the Sensex yo-yos, so does the pulse of the entire nation. Men are accustomed to having their heart, instead of food, in their mouth. Varanasi, though, remains calm. Men still squat on the road with their kulhar of tea and two samosas. FIIs can sell out all they want to, the Federal Bank can double its rates, Earth may be stripped from the list of planets, the Al-Qaeda may blow the country away if they like, Varanasi may be declared part of Pakistan- nothing will perturb the devotees of Baba Vishwanath who bathe in Ganga Mayya. (People do a lot more than just bathe in it. But the holy river’s supposed to give you relief from all kinds of pressure.)

Varanasi is a misfit in the popular image of North India- business-minded, profit oriented, selfish. While people come here to soak up some ancient mysticism, they also learn to love the city for the way it is- dirty, congested, pot-holed; all-in-all, an urban nightmare. They say the spiritual enlightenment one obtains here overrides petty concerns like lashing cow-tails, traffic, floods, etc. I haven’t reached that stage yet. I still positively detest Varanasi for its refusal to change- for its people’s reluctance to change- fearing possibly that the new wave will undermine their existence. They’re scared of the day when priests will preach online, when Ustad’s shehnaai will make way for Metallica, when sub-ways will replace samosas, and when Café Coffee Day will overtake chai-stalls.

The tourism department doesn’t mind this. Why should they spend to clean the shit foreigners love to smell? I’ll tell them why. I’ve met a number of people who’ve toured Varanasi once. They said they’ll never go there again. Cluttered dwellings, dusty roads, and crowded marketplaces look ‘natural’ and ‘real’ on TV. But when you’ve to eat a samosa at the pavement of that very market, the reality hits you. The revenues from tourism might be enough for the state to keep bulldozers away. Makeovers cost a neat packet, and UP isn’t the richest or the most thinly populated state in the country. Devotees will visit the temple even if they have to tunnel through mountains of dung and filth. But I am not a devotee. I am a resident of this unholy city, and I don’t want to tunnel through mountains to get to a vegetarian restaurant or to buy a bloody magazine.

There’s something here that strikes you at once as charming and naïve. Vendors don’t mind if you say you’re broke and will pay them later. It might be for a cup of tea; it might be for an entire meal. I am not talking about big restaurants, where professional etiquette goes hand-in-hand with customer mistrust. I am referring to the petty tea stalls for whose owners the money from a single meal goes a long way. Call this blind trust, call it stupidity, call it what you like. But it does shatter the myth that man has become a profit-making machine. If ever a motion is initiated to revamp the city, I’ll be its most vociferous supporter. But some things are better left alone.

16 comments:

TheCheshireCat said...

god bless you...another vegetarian...i was convinced we are a close to extinct species

Preeti said...

Wow! I wonder what it is to live in a city like that.
As far as vegetarianism is concerned, it is actually growing in popularity in the US, and not just because of AOL!!

Akshay Rajagopalan said...

@justanother13yearold
well, the emphasis was more on the restaurant than the adjective.

@preeti
you should visit varanasi atleast once. stay here for a week. it'll be the most memorable tour- though the memories will swing from cherished to disgusting.

TheCheshireCat said...

i kinda figured you know...its just that it is seriously frustrating to always be the only vegetarian around...and I am vegetarian out of choice...not out of any fear of hell or religious reasons...i am free to eat non veg if i like...as long as I dont make anyone else at home eat it...its just that everywhere i go, when I say I am veggie, ppl look at me like I just announced I am growing horns or thinking of joining the KGB

Akshay Rajagopalan said...

@justanother13yearold

Strange to know that non-vegetarians outnumber vegetarians in your city.

The Furobiker said...

watever u say.. i hate varanasi...

TheCheshireCat said...

outnumber doesnt really begin to describe it...its more like vegetarians are a novelty....

Akshay Rajagopalan said...

@khanna

ditto.

Preeti said...

Justanother13yearold, now I am really curious to know in what city vegetarians are such a novelty...do you live in in the mid-western United States, or in any of the South-East Asian countries?

TheCheshireCat said...

Kolkata...and maybe we are not THAT rare...maybe its just a fluke that I know all of 3 people my age who are veggies...but its kind of frustrating...

sajjan said...

Good to see you reached your 50th blog at the place varanasi about which you penned your thoughts. But you still have not learnt true identity of the north Indians. You will find somebody who can hurt you through and through but also those who believes you without knowing you as you mentioned. Also it is not that no body is concerned what happenes all around. Live example is the help given by the people during the blast at Sankat mochan mandir. I agree the drains smell or the streets have indisciplined traffic but we are the ones who need to cater to this problem of the holy city where both north and south Indians come to pray and attain salvation.

Akshay Rajagopalan said...

@sajjan

I totally agree. North Indians are more trustworthy than South Indians, though that makes it a sweeping generalization. But for the average South Indian, the North is a 'businessman's' place. And when I spoke about not being concerned about national affairs, I wasn't hinting at ignorance. I was complimenting the carefree and singularly unperturbed attitude of Banarsis.
About your final point, I don't have the patience to mend Varanasi, though according to the presentation I gave today I should.

Paras Shah said...

I m also proud to be vegetarian.

Akshay Rajagopalan said...

Let me clear this once and for all. This comments page is not for people to discuss their eating habits. Kindly ensure that comments are pertinent to the post.

TheCheshireCat said...

u need to lighten up a bit...seriously...( ;p )

Akshay Rajagopalan said...

@justanother13yearold

:-)
I'm pretty chill, but I'd had enough comments on vegetarianism esp. considering my article had very little to do with it.