Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Homeward Bound-2

It’s vacation time again! Not yet, though. I have an exam tomorrow and one day after tomorrow, but heck! I’m a final year engineering student, and am supposed to stay as far away from books as from Suniel Shetty’s movies. So how has life changed post Homeward Bound-I.

Firstly, I am two months older; hence I am more worldly wise than I was two months earlier. A direct evidence of this is that I’ve already booked my tickets and for a change, I don’t have to squeeze into that tiny side lower berth with unattractive bedfellows.

Secondly, I am a job richer.

Thirdly, I am a few hundred hairs poorer. Clinic Ayurvedic is working overtime to delay the natural disaster, but I guess evil does triumph over the hood sometimes. The difference between Marilyn Monroe and my hair is that people don’t stare expectantly when a wind blows.

Fourthly, I have a new toy at home- a brand new digital camera. Mom said she’s waiting for me to come and operate it. Considering my dubious record of damaging toy guns inside 24 hours, I doubt if this is a wise decision. Anyway, I’ll play around with the thing and read out verses from The Alchemist if I screw it up.

Fifthly, India has slipped to number 6 in the ODI rankings. All our batsmen are competing for the lowest score and Mohammad Kaif generally leads from the rear. Dada is back but I hope he doesn’t bring his grandfatherly reflexes to the field. We mustn’t forget that he’s an excellent player of left arm orthodox spin bowled from over the wicket and pitched on off stump. We mustn’t also forget that he’s an excellent slip fielder when the ball comes straight into his hands. So what if he chases the ball like journalists chase Mithun Chakraborty’s second cousin.

Sixthly, Hexaware Technologies has acquired FocusFrame. Ok, I think Powder Metallurgy is getting the better of me.

Before leaving for Secunderabad, I will visit the Sunderbans in West Bengal. We’re a group of five, and plan to enjoy these last few months to the hilt- the Sunderbans now, and probably Goa or Kathmandu in March. Of course, our Goa plans hinge on the appetite of the tigers in Sunderbans. I just hope this jungle isn’t like Sariska in Jaipur. After waiting with a finger on the camera for hours, all we* saw was a few crows, monkeys, and dogs. We saw a few donkeys and tried to convince ourselves it was a sambar or something.

Each time I go home I resolve to spend time judiciously and watch as little TV as possible. Needless to say, TV hours end up being as little as 15 hours a day. This time too, I’m determined to read a few novels. I’ve already asked Pondy Baba (kabaadiwaala turned gyan guru) to bring me a few books. Let’s see if this time the spiders touch it before I do.

I don’t have much to write today. I have an exam tomorrow, and though I’ve read everything, I can’t say I know enough to breeze through the paper. Also, it’s 1:30 am and I could do with some sleep before my standard exam wake-up time of 5:30 am. Wish me luck for the paper. I promise to return and post updates of my trip to the Sunderbans and my stay at home.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

all the best..go smash ( kallis vs agarkar smash, not raina vs pollock !!! )

Akshay Rajagopalan said...

@roshan

Ended up finishing the paper an hour early (in a 3 hr paper). Guess that's the Kenyan tail vs Muralitharan smash!

Anonymous said...

GOod Luck Akshay. Nice work as always. Have fun at home.
Shilpa

Akshay Rajagopalan said...

@shilpa

Thanks, will pig on home food as usual!

Anonymous said...

whose ananya ?
K:)