Sunday, April 15, 2007

New Word Game- Transfixz

This is a new word game I’ve devised. I’ve made just one now. If you guys like it, please comment; I’ll make some more. Please mail your solutions to akshay.bhu@gmail.com. For general observations, suggestions, and queries please feel free to comment.



Rules: Observe the following example-


Image (Ditch + Treat successfully) ->


Sharp (_______ + Finished) ->


Artist (_______ + Close-by)



Solution:


Picture (Pit + Cure) -> Pointed (Pit + done) -> Painter (Pit + near)



So,


Using the clues given in the brackets, get two words (e.g. pit & cure)- lets’s call them sub-words; then mix them up to give the main-word (e.g. picture). Now carry over one
of the sub-words to the next set and try to solve for the other sub-word and main-word.


Unlike in this example, it’s not necessary for the main-word to always have the same number of letters.


Note: Though I’ve carried over the same word (pit) into both the transformations, it’s not a rule. I can carry over either sub-word from the immediately preceding set. So, I can carry over either ‘pit’ or ‘done’ into the third set, but not ‘cure’. I hope the explanation hasn’t been shoddy.



THE PROBLEM


The opposite of restlessness (agreeable + recording medium) ->


Drew, prompted (______ + dunce) ->


Remorseful (_____ + horse’s gait) ->


Betrayers (______ + haughtiness, showing off)


Clue- The first main-word has 8 letters.



I’d label this problem medium, though it depends on the problem solver.


Incentive: Well, it’s not much of an incentive, but still- The first three correct solutions will find their crackers get a special mention in my next post.

No comments: