Saturday, December 17, 2005

A BRIEF HISTORY OF BREAD OMELETTE


This poem is dedicated to the wonderful dish that's my truest companion on train rides. As tasty as the tastiest thing, and as satisfying as a Marvadi feast, this one's for you, dear B.O.

The date is fixed, the meal is not
We'll feel hungry, something must be bought
Call it a rat, call it a bullock,
Whatever it is, it's running in my stomach.

My wallet is thin, my budget is low,
From my seat to the pantry I must go.
I walked up to the man and said hello,
"Dus rupye ke liye kuchh de do"
My mouth watered as he drew a cake,
"Sau rupye ka hai bas soongh ke dekh"

All his friends laughed out loud,
Oh! Damn I wish I was behind a crowd.
"Don't worry", said Rama, "That's their usual drama,
I'll tell you a story narrated by my mama."

"Once upon a time a man was hungry,
Unable to bear it he ran to the pantry.
Sorry sir, they said, we had only one hen,
Which we had to butcher to make the chicken.
What's that, he asked, round and oval,
Must be an egg, I saw it in a novel.
Oh! that's nothing sir, we just throw it away,
It's a regular problem we face everyday.
No my good man, please give it to me,
Let me rack my brain and get the recipe,
And thus they watched him make something yummy
Wow! that's cheap, they said, and fills the tummy

As he was leaving, they yelled PLEASE WAIT,
Please name the yummy dish we all just ate.

Gimme a second dude, he said, just a sec mate,
And then said between mouthfuls, O DREAD I'M LATE,
Mistaking this for the name, hearing it wrongly albeit,
They named the new dish Bread Omlate"

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

NICE, after a long time,worth the wait, how did u make up something like that!
P.S:this is the first time , i've actually liked one of your articles!
-chatterbox

Anonymous said...

hey this one is good. I know how much u actually like ur "B.O" and the ketchup and finger fries they serve along with it.

Akshay Rajagopalan said...

@anonymous
Glad you liked it. Please write your name next time.

The Furobiker said...

wow...simply amazing..

Akshay Rajagopalan said...

@abhishek
thanks

Anonymous said...

how could you think of this????its so good!

Akshay Rajagopalan said...

@diana
Such poems are the products of brainwaves. I had no central theme in mind. It was by hunting for rhyming words that the story got it's form.