Friday, August 19, 2005

OF BROTHERS & SISTERS, RAKSHABANDHAN, AND PLATONIC RELATIONSHIPS


According to custom, Rakshabandhan is a festival where girls tie a fancy thread around their brothers' wrists and pray for their welfare. Brothers on the other hand, promise to guard them forever. Ironically, the promise of eternal protection needs an annual renewal. It is a festival which gives:
1. students a holiday
2. students a holiday
3. students a holiday
4. girls the chance to curb a boy's infatuation
5. boys another road to bankruptcy

Today being Rakshabandhan, it'd be worthwile to check on the status of the definitions of brother, sister, and brother-sister relationships.
The misuse of titles is rampant among students. Students don't twitch a neuron before purporting some classmates to be their brothers or sisters. Once while in school, I teased my friend for spending entire days with a girl from my class, and he snapped, a flash of coerced anger in his eyes, "She is my sister." During schooldays, we called Rakhis licences to flirt and this was amply corroborated by the couples' regular trips to Cafe Coffee Day, Pizza Hut, and other hang-outs. The most notorious casanovas would have the most number of Rakhis on their arms. Whenever we teased these guys (I generally refrain from teasing girls) they would take refuge in the folds of the damn Rakhi and talk at length about the sanctity of sibling love. Their philosophy confounded me then, and still does. From what they said, I inferred that when a girl ties you a thread, you love her like you love your sister, and hence she becomes your sister. So the difference between going out with your girlfriend and going out with your Rakhi-sister is that you are not supposed to be teased with your sister while you can tolerate people teasing you with your girlfriend.
I find this rationale so foggy that I need to clear the air with forthright analysis of the definition of sister.
A sister is a female offspring born to your parents. Period. The brother-sister link is a relationship genetics thrusts upon us and which tradition identifies as platonic. I sometimes think brother-sister relationships are platonic not because they are supposed to be, but because they just are. Sisters, as a result of living with you under the same roof for a couple of decades, become good friends and confidantes. Very little separate sisters then, from friends. In fact, I have a sister who I consider to be among my best friends. I call her Akka simply because that's what my parents taught me to call her and that's what she was asked to reply to. We give each other no special sibling-privilege or sibling-love. There are some people I consider as dear to me as my sister, and as trustworthy. But that doesn't mean I will start calling them brothers. If I do, it tantamounts to undermining the scope of the definition of friendship. It's well known that siblings can grow up disliking each other. This adduces credibility to my claim that 'sister' can't be blindly substituted for 'caring, loving, and helping girl.'
So if a boy considers girl 1 a sister and girl 2 a friend, the only difference is that he does not/does not want to/is not allowed to look lecherously at the former. I'm sure a number of brothers will thirst for my blood on reading this, but this a sacrosanct fact. How else can you justify separate titles for two girls who you treat with commensurate care and fuss?

Disclaimer: All statements made in this article are a product of the author's general opinions on the subject. Resemblance of any situation mentioned with anyone's personal experience is purely coincidental.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ironically, the promise of eternal protection needs an annual renewal. Terrific!

If I'm not mistaken, this absurd practice started with some queen (princess?) asking some king of some far-off kingdom (who was totally unrelated to her and possibly didn't even know her) to protect her kingdom from an attack. And he did! The blighted moron wasted his military resources for the gain of—hold on—a rakhi! (It's unclear how he comprehended the meaning of that rakhi; I assume a sentimental letter accompanied it.)

Probably, when the festival began to be celebrated, there was another significance to it. Since there is none now, reasonable people should try and put an end to it (especially after reading about its origins).

The paragraph about the sister–friend distinction was distinctly unsatisfactory; it seems you wrote that down in a real hurry. So I have a sister (A) and a friend-who's-a-girl (B); I go by what English has been taught me and call A my sister and B my friend. How does it follow that my implication is that I don't want to / don't / am not allowed to feel lust for my sister? The terms have no such overtones.

Coming to incestuous lust, I think the most reasonable statement is this: since lust is a primal drive, a male cannot otherwise than by conscious and strict inhibition ensure that it is not felt for a sister (the sister is, after all, a girl); it may or may not be felt depending on the male's particular preferences and the sister's or sisters' attractiveness; however, in nearly all cases it will be suppressed for social convenience.

1. Change purporting some classmates to be to either representing some classmates to be or claiming that some classmates are.

2. Change it tantamounts to to it is tantamount to.

Akshay Rajagopalan said...

Ashok- In the case you stated, A is not your own sister, but a Rakhi-sister. I meant that boys get girls to tie them Rakhis if they do not want to be teased with them; and if someone teases you by calling somebody your girlfriend, it does have sexual overtones. If you call the girl your sister though, people feel awkward teasing you and the reason is totally sexual.

Akshay Rajagopalan said...

Hi Dagny
Glad to see you stopping by my blog again. thanks for providing the historical perspective. I wasn't aware of most of it.

Anonymous said...

very well articulated.Great!
What is coerced anger?
Well a sister is a sister and a friend a friend and the twain shall not meet.You just cannot severe the genetic bond but even when you make somebody a rakhi sister, you put fetters on yourself and tend to treat her differently - more akin to a sister than a friend

Akshay Rajagopalan said...

Raj- By coerced anger, I meant anger that one shows because he is expected to be angry and not because he actually feels offended.
Glad you liked the post. Keep visiting!

Anonymous said...

it depends on people whom they consider their brother or sister despite of not being born to same parents saying that people do that just to get rid comments is a sheer nonsense...

Akshay Rajagopalan said...

Anonymous- Finally I get the comment I was waiting for. Could you tell me what exactly you mean by considering somebody to be your brother or sister? Also, please leave a name next time.

Anonymous said...

Seriously good write-up.

on a lighter note: it would be quite amusing to know who all u are referring to ;). (I know i myself am guilty of doing some of things that baffled u ;) )

Akshay Rajagopalan said...

@rohit ganguli

Though you did have your arms full, I swear I never suspected you of foul play.

Kaps said...

Another one ...
this time on discussion on this festival which you refer as Rakhi it seems...

Well Mr., whether or not a boy n girl have blood relation, if they 'consider' each other so, (rather than merely saying it fr social information as u nicely point out as the case in ur school), it has further emotional terms attached with it rather than an apparently non-existence (or non-display) of lust/romantic feelin b/w the two ...
seeing it frm only this perspective rather elucidates your own narrowness as you cannot think of anything else ...

Relations are made up of abstract feelings, need not be described by words ...your mockery of word 'platonic' is again-> catchy to mass.. yet it is as unfortunate as the fact that ones' shallowness speaks volumes among the lines already present related to this post (.. including comments)

You may also now doubt upon the existence of a lady whom we refer as mother (now you'll conveniently say-> as the society forces you to refer her as), for whom you may think there is a possibility of a lust to develop, if she has maintained herself... quite on the lines of Mr. Freud....
It is so easy to say anything which generates attention, which has a false appearance of rationale attached to it.... but clinging to such cheap issues in such relationships... I pity those ppl...
who can not... and may be wil never... value the wonderful relations they're blessed with
... who only see world from paradigm of a dog... where there's nothing called incest...

ofcourse.. u are appreciably good at catching attention... studying in an advertisement school or what?

John said...

In India people do celebrate this Rakhi Festival with all fun along-with all family members. Yes,
even stars also celebrate this festival in their own way. And people who are not in India, they
rakhi to india to their brothers and
rakhi gifts to india to their loved ones.